- Hormonal fluctuations
- Changes in diet
- Stressful lifestyle
- Certain medications
- Benzoyl peroxide is an antibacterial agent that kills the bacteria that cause acne. It’s available in cream, gel, or lotion form.
- Salicylic acid is a keratolytic agent that helps to break down the bonds between dead skin cells. This helps to prevent the formation of new acne lesions. Salicylic acid is available in gel, cream, or lotion form.
- Cleansers: A good cleanser will help to remove dirt, oil, and makeup from the skin. Look for one that contains benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or sulfur.
- Moisturizers: A good moisturizer will help to keep the skin hydrated and can also help to reduce inflammation. Look for one that contains aloe vera or green tea extract.
- Spot treatments: Spot treatments are applied directly to the blemish. They usually contain benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or sulfur.
- Washing your face twice a day with a gentle cleanser
- Avoiding comedogenic ingredients in skincare products
- Using acne medications and skincare products as directed
- Avoiding excessive sun exposure